Additional Bygone Plymouth Scenes Not Included in
Images of America: Plymouth and Plymouth Labor and Leisure (Arcadia Press). These images are largely from the Summer Street/High Street area that was drastically changed during Plymouth's Urban Redevelopment Project (1958-1970). The actual demolition began with the razing of the tenement on Bass Place in January, 1964.


High Street looking east from in front of the Ryder Home, ca. 1963


Looking down from the projection booth of the Old Colony Theater, ca. 1955, corner of Main Street Extension and Sandwich St. Photo by John Reed (projectionist)

Looking down from the projection booth of the Old Colony Theater, ca. 1955, "Carver Square," Photo by John Reed (projectionist).


Sis Reed in ticket booth of Old Colony Theater, ca. 1955. She started work there in 1931, and continued to follow Plymouth's movie house as it moved to Standish Plaza (near where Staples is today), and when that complex was closed, to the theaters at Independence Mall in Kingston. Photo by John Reed

Site of the future Tedeschi Food Shop and Dunkin' Donuts (originally IGA Market), ca. 1964. Photo by John Reed

The Plymouth Redevelopment area, from the New England Real Estate Journal, 7 Feb. 1969.

The same area in 1949


The new Market Street Bridge, ca. 1966. Photo by John Reed

Mill Street, ca, 1880. This drawing was made by . The larger picture shows the entrance from Market Street. The western connection with Summer St. shown in the lower picture was closed off in 1907 and the houses below the Summer St. wall raised up four feet.
Plymouth during renewal, ca. 1969.
More Pictures: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15