Tourists could still arrive from Boston by boat in the 1940s and 1950s. It is at the State Pier, where Mayflower II has her berth of the south side. Plimoth Plantation's "First House", was built in 1948 and attracted over 300,000 visitors in 1949, its first year of operation, the date of the picture below. It was intended as an example of what the proposed "Pilgrim Village" (begun in 1958) would look like, and was repalced by the present shop in 1991.